Sunday, June 03, 2007

Quotes that make you go "aw"

Ali (the physics teacher and my friend) tells a story that I love for a multitude of reasons. J. one day told her that he'd seen another student wearing a button that said "Jesus is the reason for the season." Ali beams with pride when she relates that J. told them that actually it was "the tilt of the earth."

***

This winter, a few students ran up to me excitedly. "Oh my gosh, Ms. Harings! Last week we didn't even know who Tennyson was, then we read 'The Lady of Shalott' and 'Ulysses,' and Tennyson was quoted on Boston Legal last night! He really is famous!"

***

Some yearbook messages (If you'll indulge - these are too wonderful not to share):

"Ms. Harings, your class was always fun because I could relate everything to Frankenstein. Thanks for preparing me for the AP. love, A. p.s. I will miss you."

"Ms. H - Well, I may not be the best orator ... or writer ... or reader ... or have any sort of comprehensive ability whatsoever, but I still think you're one of the hardest working teachers I've ever known. I'll miss you very much and ... thanks for listening." - B.

"I really loved being in both your classes. I was having a hard time for a while and then you would say something and cheer it up. I will really miss having you next year." - M.

"I really enjoyed your class. I think this is the first time I've actually enjoyed literature! love, S."

"Although it may have not seemed that I enjoyed your class, I really did. Hope to see you next year for another wonderful (crazy) yearbook season" - M.

"You have been one of the best English teachers I've ever had. Every class period was an enjoyable and eye-opening experience. I look forward to the years ahead. I will always use the valuable lessons you have taught me." - K.

"I'm looking forward to seeing how hard AP lit is going to be." - X.

"I'm really going to miss having you next year. I really like you more than the other teachers. And I really didn't like A Passage to India...Have a fantabulistic summer! - C. (your #1 large word abuser)"

No comments: