Thursday, July 26, 2007

Caveat

I'd like to add a few things to my last discussion, which was already way too long! First, I'm having a fantastic summer and am glad I went to the Middlebury convention - I learned much not only about the school but about myself and unconscious assumptions I make. Tears are one way I let off steam and frustration - perhaps not the most efficient method, but something I cannot really regulate. They seem to have had a cathartic effect, though, because I've been pretty peaceful ever since. Also, I did not want to open a can of worms with my discussion of racial tensions so much as make the subject less ... taboo. On the other hand, there's the risk of talking about it so much that we become extremely self-conscious (as I was) and start identifying each other by our differences and not our similarities. It's an issue I tend to avoid for those reasons - and also because 90% of the time I don't think about race in regards to myself or my friends; I'm more interested in cultural diversity. But perhaps I have that luxury, coming from a predominantly homogeneous town in Minnesota and working in a predominantly white school.

On another note, since I last wrote, an old teacher of mine came to read at Bread Loaf. Cynthia Huntington taught me a creative non-fiction course and also briefly served as my thesis adviser when I was set on a creative writing thesis. She remembered me and the first question she asked after we hugged and exclaimed over each other was, "Are you still writing?" to which I had no real answer, as the paltry few poems I've churned out in the last five years hardly seem to constitute "writing." But she reminded me of the joy I used to have in playing with words, with no intent to share or publish.

1 comment:

Deep_As_The_Sea_Goes said...

Cultural diversity is always so much more important than that of race. I am actively anticipating tomorrow...my dad has finally finished the working session of our time here, so tomorrow we actually get to set off and explore what Africa has to offer. We're going to spend most of our day in a city that's known for it's diversity in cultures (Zulu, Afrikaan, etc.) It is a completely traditional (not sold out for touristy reasons =D) area, and it is supposed to be a genuine experience. The cultural diversity here has been so intensely captivating..it's great.

Anyways...what I meant to ask, was that I emailed Mrs. Toews about working on an independent essay next year regarded various Contemporary and well-regarded poets (predominately Plath), and I asked her if she would be willing to work with me on that maybe like once a week. Would you be willing to coach me with that as well?